"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dan Shall Not Live By Bread Alone. . .





. . . but by bread and Excel jam. Dan's company has bottles of jam they give to clients and so forth that is really good. Here is Dan spreading some onto a slice of bread I baked fresh for him for lunch. After having a bread machine for two weeks, I am a huge fan. This bread is the best home made bread I've been able to play a part in making. I can't take full credit because I think most of the magic comes from the machine. There's two consistent problems with homemade bread. 1) You can taste the yeast 2) The texture isn't right. This recipe has no yeast flavor to it, and the texture is great. Here is the recipe. Give it a try in your Kitchen Aid's or Bosch's, but I can't promise the same results.
Basic White Bread:
1 c. + 3 T. very warm water
2 T. Veg. oil
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1 T Dry Milk
3 1/4 c. bread flour
1 5/6 t. (almost two) dry active instant yeast

With a bread machine add ingredients in this order and put on dough setting. When finished sprinkle flour on counter in a rectangle (doesn't have to be bread flour) then push dough out into a rectangle sprinkle flour on top as you need to, cut in half, roll up both sides and place in two sprayed bread pans. cook at 350 for 30-35 minutes. When crust is brown enough to your liking place foil on top for remaining baking time. Wallah!

1 comment:

Levi said...

Dan, it's good to see you eating. You usually pass on food. Ticks me off. I just got done with 4 cookies. I was only planning on one.