"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Saturday, January 26, 2008

BMW Showroom Grand Opening

BMW has a showroom in Dan's building and last night they had their Grand Opening. This is the 7 series sports coupe released in October of last year. The BMW guy for Beijing was telling us they always release their cars in China later because the fuel here is so bad compared to the rest of the World. On top of that you have gas dealers diluting it with water and other substances to make it even worse, this leads to their cars having more problems here than anywhere else in the World. They can pinpoint problems regionally. For instance, in a province north of Beijing their cars have a ton of problems, this is in a more rural area where gas dealers are probably dumping all kinds of chemicals into the fuel. Older cars and big trucks can handle this, but newer cars made with more electronic pieces take a beating. Of course, as far as the customer is concerned its a BMW problem, they're not going to buy into the fact that its a fuel problem. BMW has to make sure a car is totally durable before it introduces it into the China market. I thought that was kind of interesting. You have to admire a company that will go the distance to make sure they're delivering a good product even if the problem with their product is not necessarily their fault.

There are not many things I'm a sucker for when it comes to consumer items, but who could resist this toddler BMW bike, especially when you have a baby boy on the way.

We've been to a handful of these Grand Opening parties down in our area and usually walk away from them with cheesy handouts. This time we got something pretty good. A model BMW station wagon. Dan felt it was good enough to put on the shelf in his office. The food was also pretty decent. They served beef satay in peanut sauce, steamed vegetables, fried rice, fruit, chicken salad, marinated cucumbers, and lemon cheese cake. I was pretty impressed. We're still trying to figure out how the owners decide who gets invited to these things. Besides us and the BMW China rep from Austria, everyone was Chinese and they all looked like they were in their 20s. Maybe that's their target audience, rich, Chinese, young adults. I don't know but it was a pretty interesting event.

12 comments:

S. Schuller said...

Ash, your posts are great. Keep them coming. I can't believe the mini car you got for going to the BMW event! You look great. Thanks for the recipes. I know it's a good one when it's from you.

Jan said...

That is very interesting for sure. I want that little bike too. What a cute thing. The food did sound good too. What an interesting life you lead.

blindblogger said...

Sarah last night I was telling Dan how great your parents were and how we would always cater for your Dad's company Christmas party. He couldn't believe they'd trust a couple of 14 year olds to do that. I was trying to remember some of our menus. I remember doing Chicken Cordon Blu one year and those fancy knot rolls. Do you remember any of the others? Looking back its pretty amazing those always turned out so well. We didn't even stress! I can check your blog throuhg a proxy server from here, but I can't leave comments. It looks like you're as busy as ever! I need you to come and be my neighbor and get me doing some crafts. My mind does not think in that direction.

Shells said...

I agree with Jan, you live such an interesting life. It sounds like you have such great opportunities to do a wide variety of things, like fashion and car shows. I also agree with Sarah, keep up the posts -- it is so fun to see what your life overseas is like. And I also agree with you about Sarah looking busy. I get exhausted just looking at all of the stuff Sarah shares on her blog. Where does she find the time and energy. You're an inspiration Sarah.

Unknown said...

Dan and Ash, I am looking at your blog at last! Not bad on the BMW. You will have to look of Eli's blog to keep updated on my life. elijahcse.blogspot.com By the way I still have your brother's keys.

Anonymous said...

Ash you are looking good...

The Jones Family said...

Ash, seriously...when are you going to look pregnant? Still waiting. You do lead a rough life. I hope you bought the bike for Dan Jr. Any names yet?

blindblogger said...

Everybody seems to be already calling him Dan Jr. so maybe we'll just go with that. The guy Dan works with calls him DJ for Dan Jr.

Brittany said...

Ash! Hi girl, its brittany.....kyles wife! I've liked checkin out your blog...how far along are you and why don't you look pregnant at all? cute cute hair...i like it on you.

blindblogger said...

Hey Brittany! Ha, if I can look like you after I have the baby then I'll be cheering. Good to hear from you!

S. Schuller said...

I know, Ash, I can't believe those catering parties we used to do. I remember in one picture you were wearing a sweatshirt that said, "Dear Santa: I want it all!" That was hilarious. I think that was when Erin went to homecoming with Michael, but maybe not....I made the broccoli today from your blog and you are right: it was great. Thanks for the recipes.

Jan said...

Ashley=put something else up, I'm bored with this BMW post. HEHEHE.