"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Friday, January 4, 2008

Thanksgiving

Its been 9 straight years since I've been to 2092 Frontier rd. for Thanksgiving dinner. The last time would have been when I was 19 years old. Some great Thanksgiving memories I have are:

Eating a huge diner and then. . . . . .Christmas caroling with cousins or challenging the Mathews family to a volleyball tournament at the church or Rook or Round Robin Tournaments, watching Thanksgiving Day Parade.


On my mission I was asked by the ward to make a Thanksgiving dinner. I had only been there one month and I was in twilight zone, so I agreed. They assured me they would get all the ingredients. So through my companion we gave them a list of items including a can of Libby's pumpkin puree which you can get in Hong Kong during Thanksgiving time. Well I was a little stressed about making pie, mashed potatoes and turkey for 200 + people, but they all assured me "No problem it will be fine." So we schedule to meet the member gathering the items for the pumpkin pie at 10:00 am. The person bringing the potatoes was coming later along with the turkey. Looking back I can't believe I agreed to any of this I'd never made a Turkey in my life. So we meet the lady bringing the pumpkin pie ingredients and she comes with everything except Libby's--she brought a real pumpkin. At that point my heart dropped to the floor. I was counting on the Libby's can for the pie's ingredients. Not to mention I'd never cooked with an actual pumpkin before. I asked her where the Libby's was--she said, "Oh no problem this will work just as good." That was their answer to everything. Luckily the week before on P-day another sister roped me into making a Thanksgiving dinner for the zone, and we were in charge of the pies, so we had made a pumpkin pie the week before, and I semi-remembered the ingredients. We got to the church, I boiled down the pumpkin and managed to make some pretty good makeshift pumpkin pie squares. Then the lady with the potatoes shows up with the potatoes pre-boiled. "I pre-boiled them because I didn't think we'd have time to cook them all." A quick decision was made to re-boil the potatoes and then try to mash them. At the mashing stage I gave up and let them take over. I didn't volunteer to cook the rest of my mission, for myself or for others. That was a memory!


Thanks Mom for all the great dinners of times past and times to come!

No comments: