"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mooncakes

This is a mooncake. Chinese people eat mooncakes during mid-autumn festival. Mooncakes feel like hockey pucks and taste worse. In modern times, mooncakes are made with several types of fillings, but traditionally a mooncake was filled only with yolk from a salted duck egg. My first and last try of a mooncake like this was in Hong Kong. The crust tastes like an old, stale Fig Newton and the inside like dense mass. During this season, Dan's tenants shower us with mooncakes. He usually gives them to employees with the exception of those received from BMW. BMW goes all out with with their mooncakes, they buy Haagen Dazs. Last week it took us about two days to plow through the pack of about 10 Haagen Dazs ice cream mooncakes. They are all chocolate coated and about 9 were small ones filled with strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, mango, cookies and cream, macadamia nut, and blueberry ice cream. The grand finally (pictured below) was filled with chocolate ice cream and mango sorbet in the middle. How clever! Way to go BMW and Haagen Dazs.



2 comments:

Star Gazer said...

Oh, I would SO eat the ice cream mooncakes, but I stay away from the other mooncakes too! :) Remember how many we used to get as missionaries? It was so thoughtful, but I couldn't eat them.

blindblogger said...

Yeah I tried it only once. Nasty!!!