"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Decorations
Chinese New Year means decorating your house. Most families, like our neighbors below, cover their doors in red strips. The monster Lian (year) will pass their home and not eat their children because he is scared of the color red. The Chinese found this out one year because a little boy wearing red scared the monster away.
The fish represent prosperity. I love this fish, I bought it last year, and I'll hang it on my door every Chinese New Year hence. Often they hang the fish in pairs which symbolizes something, but I can't remember what. The great thing about Chinese New Year is it really keeps your spirits going after Christmas. Christmas dec goes down, Chinese New Year dec goes up, and you can leave it up until it gets warm.
This is the year of the bull. One of the company drivers (not our driver) gave us this bull. Which I love (look at the eyes so piercing) Dan doesn't, but we live in China. Who really cares what kind of decorations you have? That's right no one. So I get to leave it up! Yes. The bull represents steady, nose to the grind stone, risk averse; unlike last years rat which symbolizes sly, cunning, risk taking, etc behavior. Expect Chinese investments to slow down this year. They take their Zodiac's seriously.
More bulls and Lanterns!
Lanterns are a huge part of CNY decoration. Because they're AWESOME! These are still sitting out waiting to be hung somewhere. I can't figure out the best spot. Lanterns represents the light of spring. The 15th (last day) of CNY is the Lantern festival. Basically you light a lantern and, wallah you're celebrating. I love the sometimes simplicity of the Chinese.
Gong hei faat choi! Means wish good luck. You cup your hands, slightly bow forward and say this to others. This is most popular in Hong Kong where they also add "San tai gin hohn"=body healthy. I Couldn't resist these two statuesques.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for all the fun info. I will definitely have to do chinese food sometime during the CNY, since Henry still calls it his favorite.
I am LOVING your lanterns! I want to get some for my house!
Post a Comment