This weekend was our District conference. We had Elder Watson from the Asia Area Presidency and Elder Wong, Area Authority Seventy. I served in Elder Wong's ward in Sha Tin and actually tried teaching his sister the discussions. She wasn't interested but took us to lunch a couple of times. Last year Elder Oaks and Elder Cook visited. We were told in our R.S. meeting with their wives about a technique Elder Bednar calls inspired questions. He puts questions in the front of his mind or writes them down before a meeting. Then he listens for answers to those questions. He says he's always received answers. Our R.S. gave us little notebooks to take notes and record our inspired questions.
Saturday Night Session:
I was asked to sing in a small group. The lady who asked me said, "You have such a strong alto voice." I don't have a strong alto voice, and I wondered where she was getting this notion. I think after the first practice they realized I really didn't know what I was doing, and they called in reinforcements. I also found out all other altos from the choir wouldn't be able to attend Saturday night, so I was her best option. That didn't make me feel great, and I would've rather not participated, but I think it ended up turning out okay. I have no idea, you know the people who think they're singing on tune but really they're not. That could be me. Dan is no help for honesty because any singing sounds good to him. All I can say is I did my best, and I wasn't begging to be asked. I even offered to play the piano instead, but that didn't work.
Speaker Highlights:
Frank Whitaker-- 2nd Counselor in District Presidency gave a talk about families. He talked about his grandma who found joy in the service of her family. She married when she was young to a man who had 16 kids. Then she had 4 more. She devoted her life to taking care of them all continuing to when they had their kids etc. He told about how she would be at the stove cooking for a crowd and tears would be coming from her eyes.
He taught us to teach the gospel in our homes and not abdicate this assignment to the Church.
He told us to create family bonds that will be stronger than child's peer groups, school, sports team, etc.
Family relations are more important than Church callings.
Elder Wong--He mentioned a small part of President Monson's talk last conference where he said FHE will fortify your family.
Elder Watson--Fortify families through scripture study. 23 months passed from the time Joseph Smith received the plates and publication. He received 14 sections of revelation for the D&C during this time. Total time translating the Book Of Mormon=3 months. This is compared to 18 months it takes today to translate a copy of the Book Of Mormon into another language. Fortify families by studying scriptures every day.
2 comments:
Ash. Great post. I feel like I'm kind of on a spiritual high from stake conference. We got a new stake president so we got to hear Elder Porter and Elder Brinkerhoff speak. I really enjoyed it. For some reason I was able to listen much better than at regular sacrament meeting. It's hard with kids to really listen. I should go work on my talk since I'm feeling it.....
Don't feel bad about singing, I was once asked to just mouth the words in a stake choir. I decided that I didn't need to keep attending rehearsals after that. And now I never feel guilty about not being in stake or ward choirs-- so it turned out to be a very liberating experience.
Post a Comment