"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Healthy Snack

Tate and I are trying to eat more healthy. After playgroup we grabbed some small nectarines and ate them on the bench while waiting for Jerry, our driver. I told Dan last week on the way to Church I was trying to be prepared with more healthy snack foods for Tate. Then during Church I pulled out M&M's and Pocky Sticks. Dan was laughing; however, I also had a banana and sunflower seeds.

When it comes to change I tend to take the gradual approach. In my diet, that means I don't cut it all I start adding good foods and slowly replace bad. Dan tends to take the cut-out-everything-and-stick-to-it-with-all-of-your-guns approach, in all aspects of life. That's why I hitched my wagon to his rising star.

For several months, I have been doing a no sugar/limited sugar diet. Dan joined me and for the past few months we have had desserts/treats only on weekends. Today I took a trip to Ikea, and they had milk chocolate bars for $1.25. That is outrageously cheap for China, I couldn't help but buy three. Well, I had to eat half of it. I also snitched on a batch of carmel corn I made Sunday that didn't get entirely eaten. Well, can't win it all. I feel a lot better when I stay away from sugar, but some days I just get off track.

Concerning Mother's Day, I asked my Dad what he got my mom. He said, "A pitch fork." Then he handed the phone to my sister, who was at their house, and I asked her what she got my mom, "A broom." I ordered my mom a 1 lb. box of milk chocolate See's Nuts and Chews. There's not much guessing here which gift she will be most excited about. Thanks for making it easy guys.

Dan agreed to spend the week watching Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea with me as a Mother's Day treat. We watched the first hour and a half last night. I haven't seen that show in 10+ years. It is interesting to watch it from a 30 year old perspective as opposed to an adolescent perspective. Observing Anne's friendship with Diana made me homesick for my good old, solid friends and all of the great times we shared together. Our teenage years were just as action packed as Anne of Avonlea.

4 comments:

Levi said...

Ash, as I sit here reading your blog with your ambitions for eating healthy food, seeing Tate eating his nectarine.....my kids and I are eating are breakfast; french toast with buttermilk syrup and bacon. You make it look so easy!

Chelsea said...

Ash, great post. I still can't believe you live in China and have a driver. We lead such different lives! I made Kyle watch Anne of Green Gables with me on our first date.

Shells said...

I'm sitting here eating my swedish fish, thinking, maybe I should try to eat healthier snacks too! :) And I'm amazed that you convinced Dan to watch Anne of Green Gables. I love that movie too!

Kelsey & David Barber said...

Hey Ash! Cute pictures- I love the new family pic. Good luck on cutting out sugar. I try doing that and I literally can do it for a day and then I cave. You obviously have better self control. Can't wait to see you in June!