"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Foxes Have Holes


Many things are going right around this house like Tate's potty training .  He "camped" out with Dan tonight by watching a movie in the tent, and we even busted out the uke and a tuning device I have that Tate uses for a harmonica and sang, "My Grandfather's Clock," "You Are My Sunshine," "Red River Valley," and "Don't Fence Me In."  You can play all of those sings (pretty much) with the same three chords.  I've gotta say, I am very blessed and others I see around me are too.

It's astounding how much Nephi was able to handle in life.  Sometimes I get to thinking if I would or would not be stronger and able to give more to life if I had a permanent hole wherein to lay my head.  Our status as of now is: Depart Beijing _________ (future date) for ___________ (place).  From there we stay in __________(same place) for ___________ (period of time).  Our lives would make a pretty good Mad Libs.  Old Nephi really lived through it.  He started in Jerusalem and moved to all over in the Wilderness to a pretty nice place on the seashore to a boat to the promised land to another place in the promised land because his brothers were trying to kill him.  All this time he lived through several attempted murders by his brothers.  When he and his people finally got to the 2nd place in the promised land they "lived after the manner of happiness."  I can imagine that was a nice break for him, but he still had to be on guard to defend his group against the Lamanites.

What this really comes down to for me is faith.  I would really love to plant myself down in a place where I could get more strength so I could have more children.  Beijing really takes a lot out of me and doesn't give much back.  With that said, I have faith that roads will open that lead to destinations Heaven wills above.  That is really all I can arrive at now because I don't have a lot of control over where I live (unless I want to have Dan miss out on getting an MBA).  I know you can't have it all, so I continue to enjoy this journey with Dan and Tate and be grateful for the fact Tate potty trained so quickly and that we have great friends, and that Dan gets home at a reasonable hour every night, and much more.    

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Great perspective. We can all learn a lot from your faith. I know that infertility must be such a hard trial, and I hope you are blessed with what you desire as far as a family goes. Keep the faith Ash. (Didn't I used to write that to you 12 years ago when we would talk about your dating life?) It all sounds too familiar.

Levi said...

Ash, Yay for Tate! I'm soooo excited to hear that he caught on to the whole potty training gig! And good for you for holding strong.....sometimes it's so hard to keep cleaning up the accidents.

Staci said...

Ash you are doing awesome, you are a great example to me.. And look at all the experience Tate is getting! Amazing! You da bomb mama ash we love you.

[M] said...

ash, you are such a great mom. i don't know how you do it, i have a hard enough time living in arizona. the two years that J-P did his MBA and traveled all the time were probably the hardest two years of my life. but it went by so fast. it will be over before you know it. hang in there:)