"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pretzel Dogs and Sweet Potato Fries

Dan requested pretzel dogs for dinner.  I first had pretzel dogs and sweet potato fries at my brother and sister in law's home in Chicago. They were fabulous. I didn't have their recipes so I had to improvise on my own.  Here goes the recipe:

Mall Pretzels:
Place in bread machine in this order

1 1/2 c. very warm water
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/8 t. salt
3 c. All purpose flour
1 c. bread flour
2 t. yeast

Put on dough cycle. If mixing in mixer mix, and then let raise mixed in a little olive oil for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes, then place on counter sprinkled with flour. Sprinkle more flour on top. Spread dough out and cut into 12 peices, roll out into almost 1 foot long strips, either wrap around hot dog, or shape as desired. Then dip both sides quickly into a pie plate filled with:

2 c. hot water
2 T. baking soda

Make sure pretzels aren't too sticky, if they are pat quickly with paper towel. Place on a sprayed preferably dark no stick pan (can also use parchment paper). Let raise 15-20 minutes. Bake pretzels or pretzel dogs at 450 f, 230 c, for 8-10 minutes. Butter the top and sprinkle pretzels with salt, cinnamon and sugar, or other desired topping.

Sweet Potato Fries

Cut 3 skinned sweet potatoes into long french fry strips. Line cooking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Place potatoes on top. Coat with 1 T. olive oil, salt well and mix in. Add paprika and mix in well. Can cook the same time as pretzels. Cook at 450 f on top rack of oven and pretzels on bottom. Place pretzels on the top rack for the last 1-2 minutes and switch potatoes to the bottom. Potatoes should cook at least 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash that food looks so good. Next time you're in the states, you'll have to host a cooking night and you can teach us all your tricks.

The Jones Family said...

Look at you Betty! I'm going to have to try it out. I too am slowly mastering the art of bread making. I got a bread machine for Christmas but have discovered that I actually like making it from scratch, without the machine, better. It turns out much softer. Who knew I could make bread. Sorry we didn't catch up with you the other night. Let us know when you're available to chat and we'll set something up.

blindblogger said...

Mel I can't believe it turns out better when you make it without the machine. For me its the total opposite. Okay look for us Friday night your time.

Unknown said...

I'll take 3...how well do they ship?

blindblogger said...

Cory you need to come back here on your way home. Or there's always the buddy pass with Aunt Sara. there's a straight flight from DC now.