"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not simply endured."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Life's A Battle

Nearly 10 years ago on the shore of Galilee I made a confession: I'm a battle ax, and I need to work on it. The next day in Relief Society the friend to whom I confessed passed me a note (which I still have in my scriptures in the TG under Battle) that said:

"Good thing you're a battle ax?"

I wrote back:

"What?"

Apparently the teacher had just got done saying if you want to make it into the Celestial Kingdom you have to battle every day: Life's a battle.

This theme has got me through many days here in Beijing. Like today when it took 40 minutes to drive to play group (5 mile journey). Life's a battle. Tate was great in the car and always is if I'm not sitting next to him. I almost have all of the songs on Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams album memorized. Tate LOVED play group, and I taught an Indonesian Muslim women the first discussion. The time proved worthy of the 40 minute battle to get there.

The Chinese would tell you, don't battle it's not good for your health.  Don't hassle, don't embarrass, don't make it right, these are their mantras. Conversely, Australians are always up for the fight. I've found it very convenient to have Australian friends here, when you're too tired or lazy they will always battle for you. "You mean you don't serve pepperoni pizza here? I'm sure you do let me talk to your manager, oh so you do serve it." I'm sure their country runs properly, they make a battle of it.

At playgroup there was me, Tate, a lady I VT's daughter, her babysitter (Chinese), another boy and his mom (aforementioned Muslim). She mentioned how she was concerned her son didn't play well with other kids. I told her she was welcome to bring him to our Church. After that we got in a discussion where I gave the 3 minute version of the Godhead, Apostasy and Joseph Smith. Then I found out she was Muslim and her husband was a Pakistani Christian. She assured me they don't battle it out. "What's the point? All it will do is destroy our marriage." After a very interesting conversation, Tate and I said goodbye, packed into the car and drove back home.

My dilemma: Do I battle the 40 minutes each way of traffic so he can play for 1 hour with friends, or do I battle him alone in the apartment. This is a serious question, and either road is a battle.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

I'd stay home and invite people to my house.

[M] said...

yes, you need to get out of the house and see people too. that's what J-P always says to me. at least you can drive, right?

Laura said...

I don't think you're a battle axe. You are just fiesty and independent and that is a good thing--especially there. I say go cuz it's always nice to get out and have a change of scenery.

[M] said...

p.s. did you ever read the china study? i'm curious what you thought about it...

blindblogger said...

I thought I had ordered it but I didn't. So I have to wait until I get back to U.S. this summer. I will let you know.