I've been using the term "hook and a crook" a lot lately. The other day Dan told me I don't know what that means so I shouldn't use it. So I went into the story about how the first time I heard it was about 7 years ago when my Grandpa Barber asked his other retired friend on the phone if he had his license. Turns out neither he nor his friend had their licenses, but my grandpa then told his friend that their other friend still had his, "but he got it by a hook and a crook." Had to laugh at that. Then I was validated a little when Dan heard our Branch President use the term. The other day Tate was playing a Cars 2 game on the Iphone and said, "I got it by a hook and a crook." Guess he's paying attention more than I thought he was. He's used the term several times since then.
Today at Church Dan and I both gave talks. Then in primary all the kids gave me a handmade card to say goodbye. One of the primary teachers, a lady named Sister Crook, gave her entire class red pockets (a Chinese New Year tradition that kids get from their parents filled with money) with 10 RMB inside, and they were to give it to someone in need. Next thing you know I ended up with three of those because I was leaving the kids wanted to show their love. You don't usually make money at Church, but by a hook and a Sister Crook. . .
After Church we had Zachary Richards over for dinner and home teaching. He's a high school senior here doing a foreign exchange experience. We had him over for Thanksgiving, and he would only speak Chinese, even to Dan's sister Julie and her husband Eli who know no Chinese. He would either have Dan translate or say the sentence first in Chinese then translate it himself and say it in English. Halfway through Thanksgiving dinner Dan asked him in Chinese to speak English during dinner so his sister could understand. He looked right at him and continued to speak in Chinese the rest of the night. Well today he spoke English. Turns out he's a really smart and interesting guy, and he even shared how he used to tell his mom the kids swore on the bus so she would pick him up from school, and he could get home in time to watch Pokemon. We all had a good laugh about that.
I'm going to miss my Daniel for the next month, and also the great people we've gotten to know here: Jerry, the Floyds, Su Wei. Its hard to think about, but I'm sure a trip to Costco and other stores will get me into better spirits. Bye bye Beijing.
1 comment:
Ash, funny story about your grandpa and wayne wilson. are you coming to p-town at all? you better give us a ring-a-ling.
Post a Comment